5.13.2009

Last night I played a high guy game I haven't played in ages. It's really easy to play and I think it's fun because it's nice to dream.

-Pick somewhere you'd like to live, obviously other than the place you currently live. I tend to go with left coast cities as the weather is ridiculously gorgeous, and I'd probably prefer earthquakes and wildfires to hurricanes and giant bugs. Also, weather is probably way too important to me, so pick your own damn reasons.

-Google the place you've chosen, read up on it a little. I've chosen places based on weather before that I've had to change due to my disagreeing with local politics, cost of living being too high, too many old people in the area, etc. Wikipedia usually works out for this.

-Use Google maps to choose a subsection of the city. I always do that because the big cities are typically really expensive to live in. I could never afford to live in Los Angeles or San Fransico proper, but there seem to be surrounding areas that would fit my needs.

-Go to the Craigslist page for your chosen destination; look at the housing and job listings. This can be especially fun if there's an address listed for the apartment cause most places have street view now, so you can actually see what your new neighborhood will look like.

-Try to find a job that would cover your expenses. Look at the area schools, daycare centers, recreational areas... whatever you feel you'd need to have around where you live. One time I found an apartment listing and the complex was right across the street from a Wendy's, which works out for me because spicy chicken sandwiches are pretty great. Though now that I'm no longer high it doesn't seem like "having a Wendy's within walking distance" should really be a top priority.

-Fantasize about moving there. Cry when you realize you can't.

On the upside, at least it's time consuming, and time is something I generally tend to have plenty of. I get to learn a little bit about places other than Baltimore, and I get to see maps of palm tree lined streets and that gives me a little hope. I'm not sure why but it does. Do it or not, but trust me it's fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment