So I had a date on Saturday with a guy who both interests me and intimidates me. I ended up breaking that date so that I could go out with a guy who, as it turns out didn't... anything at all really. Losers such as myself who have to rely on the internet to find a date should of course have a well honed internet personality, but that doesn't give us license to neglect our offline personalities. I use the internet to get a little more comfortable with people. Meeting a stranger and striking up a conversation in real life just seems weird to me, almost intrusive. Not to mention I don't like coming across as a giggly schoolgirl with nothing more to say than "Gee, you're swell", and I do. As my luck would have it, Mr. Boring tells me online this morning that he "had a great time on Saturday and would like to meet up again the next time you can"... poor guy. This puts me in an awkward position as I usually just stop speaking to the guys I go on bad dates with, though a few of them have been friendzoned due to being generally awesome people. However, he is no where near awesome.
I should have known immediately when he showed up at the theater that things were going to fail hard. I had mentioned in conversation that I don't understand why people, women specifically, dress to the nines for a first date. Isn't it easier to deal with the first date jitters when you're at least semi-comfortable? I don't have time for the blisters that come from wearing heels, the adjusting that accompanies push-up bras, or the constant tugging at clothes that reveal a bit too much. I'm going to go ahead and assume he interpreted that as, "Sure, dress like a slob! I won't care, just as long as you're comfortable!". I was dressed like a confident young woman who was meeting her friends for brunch on an unseasonably warm late-winter's day. He was dressed like he was going to or had just crawled out of a basement from an intense D&D session. I can only imagine how odd we looked walking around together; a casually well-dressed girl entertaining her nerdy cousin from out of town. At least that's what I would have thought I were someone else.
A few positives to counteract all this negativity: the movie (Coraline) was precious, the food (Mt. Everest) was delicious, and the weather was the best thing of all. The theater we went to wasn't showing the movie in 3D, so I'd love to eventually go see it in a one that is. I got chicken korma for dinner and it was delicious. I'll definitely be going back to that restaurant in the near future. And in all honesty, I looked and felt DAMN cute; cuter than I've looked or felt in recent memory. But in the end, it was a waste of time spent primping and stressing.
I'm just going to have to work up the courage to ask the intimidating law student what he's doing on Thursday night, so I can stop wondering what I missed out on while I was busy entertaining my nerdy cousin from out of town.

No comments:
Post a Comment